Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Where are the books for experienced programmers?

Recently, I've been reading books on how to develop websites using "Web 2.0" techniques (basically AJAX). What I've noticed about these books--and even other coding books in my library--is that there is a serious lack of books for the experienced, well-disciplined programmer.

I honestly find it a little insulting that every book on C++ feels the need to re-explain to me APIE (Abstraction, Polymorphism, Inheritance, Encapsulation). As does every Java book. As does every Python book. Even books that claim to cater to the experienced or advanced programmer always recover these topics.

Of course, I've heard of projects like Rosetta Code, but that's not really what I'm looking for either. For one thing, there are only 87 examples, not even covering topics I'm really interested in. (An example of a topic I'd like to see is, "How to remove items from a collection based on a predicate?") Yes, it's wiki. Yes, I could go write the article myself. No thanks.

I guess what I really want to find are books that tell you the right way to perform tasks in a certain language, or why you would prefer one method over another. For example, in which situations should I prefer to use a vector instead of a map? (I'll give you a hint, even in key-value situations there are reasons to sometimes prefer a vector to a map).

For example, let's say I'm writing a new piece of C++ code. Should I use the stl? Almost always. Is there a good logging subsystem out there that I could use to avoid rewriting a new one? Are there any libraries I should avoid? Boost.

I don't need to relearn why I should write objects or what should go into an object. Tell me how to define an object, how to use inheritance, how abstraction is implemented. Give me actual, realistic costs of making design tradeoffs. For example, how much will it cost me to call a virtual function? Is there a way I can mitigate this inside of a single class, if I really know what the type of the class is?

I'm sure, one of these days, someone will get it. Till then, I'll just continue to suffer in silence.

1 comment:

Michael Mol said...

(Disclaimer: I founded and maintain Rosetta Code)

I would be happy to add tasks that are more to your liking. I've been unhappy with our task selection of late, and recently started reaching out past the RC community for ideas on directions we can expand.

Can you give me, say, ten specific topics to add? I know that doesn't sound like much, but it gets the ball rolling again.

Feel free to mention it here, or drop me an email.

Additionally, we have a task request page for folks who want to see content, but don't want to go through the pain of creating well-worded task pages on their own. (I admit it wasn't in a prominent place...That has been fixed.)